Top Fifty - Brass in Pocket

Apparently Chrissie Hynde doesn't like this song, but goddamnit I do.



According to the always reliable Wikipedia, "Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders was the seventh video played during MTV's launch on August 1, 1981. God help me, I remember watching the same fucking 20 videos over and over again during the early months of MTV. I would rather slit my own throat with a rusty box cutter than watch Pat Benatar in that damned black and white striped shirt ever again, but somehow I never got sick of watching Chrissie pretend to be the world's worst waitress. I won't even mention watching her pretend to be the world's worst femme.



My 12 year old mind never quite figured out what the hell Detroit leaning, side step or the new skank was, but I didn't care. It sounded cool and grown up and ballsy, all the things I was not at that awkward age. Thirty years later I'm still not 100% on what they are, but at least I am now the coolest mother funker on the planet and can pretend I know what they mean.

Just for kicks, here is the glorious Scarlett Johannson singing the song in a scene from "Lost in Translation".



Chrissie rocks me sideways.

0 comments: