My Top Fitty

My favorite website in the whole wide world of the web is Songfacts. I'm a music freak and I always learn something new from Carl and the gang whenever I check the main site. I am also a (dork alert) moderator on the site's message boards. I joined the boards a week after my daughter was born and I've met some amazingly strange and wonderful people there. (I've committed some sort of faux pas ending that sentence with a "there", haven't I? It doesn't look right but I don't have the strength to suss it out. Oh well, I'm known for my tits and not my sentence structure, so screw it.)

We are a group of voters. There is a weekly top ten in which we nominate 2 songs and vote for our favorite 7. Just kidding, it's ten. I'm trying to see who's paying attention. We also have a Songfactor's Choice and we've just started up a Movie Choice.

A while ago, we all came up with a list of our own top fifty favorite songs and the other members voted on their top ten out of that fifty. My list is so fantastic that I felt the need to unwrap it, take it out of the box, shake off the dust and share it with the non-Songfacts world. Keep in mind these are not necessarily what I think are the greatest songs of all time, but songs that mean something special to me and have played a part in my life at one time or another.

Then again, Rick Astley is represented, so this may very well be a list of the greatest fucking songs in the history of music. Holla!


My Nominations

2 Out of 3 Ain't Bad - Meatloaf
A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
A Song for You - Donny Hathaway
Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations
And I Am Telling You - Jennifer Holliday
At Last - Etta James
Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Brass in Pocket - The Pretenders
Burnin' Up - Madonna
Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
Cult of Personality - Living Color
Desperado - The Eagles
Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me - Elton John
Dust in the Wind – Kansas
Fallin’ - Alicia Keys
Father Figure – George Michael
Fire - Jimi Hendrix
Happy Together - The Turtles
Helter Skelter – The Beatles
Hush - Kula Shaker
I Wanna Be Your Lover – Prince
I Wanna Be Sedated – The Ramones
I Wish - Stevie Wonder
In My Daughter’s Eyes - Martina McBride
It's Tricky - Run DMC
Just Dropped In - Kenny Rogers
Let’s Stay Together - Al Green
Long Way Down – The Goo Goo Dolls
Monkey Man - The Rolling Stones
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
No Sleep Til Brooklyn – The Beastie Boys
One Love - Bob Marley
Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
Rock and Roll All Night - KISS
Rock Lobster - B-52s
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Separate Ways - Journey
September - Earth, Wind & Fire
Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Stay - Sugarland
Tempted - Squeeze
The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
The Reflex - Duran Duran
Tribute - Tenacious D
Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
What I Want – Daughtry
Who Put the Bomp? – Barry Mann
You Don't Know Me - Ray Charles
You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
You're My Best Friend - Queen

My Top Ten as Voted on by Songfacts Members

1. Happy Together - The Turtles
2. I Wanna Be Sedated – Ramones
3. You're My Best Friend - Queen
4. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me - Elton John
5. Fire - Jimi Hendrix
6. Let's Stay Together - Al Green
7. Boys of Summer - Don Henley
8. You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
9. Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations
10.Rescue Me - Fontella Bass

Good shit, eh?

8 comments:

Bev said...

Holla back! But, my favorite Don Henley song is "Dirty Laundry." I LOVE that you have a Tenacious D song on the list. Hilarious!

Samsmama said...

Run freaking DMC!!! Your list is awesome!

Now, about those tits...

Unknown said...

Bev, I love "Dirty Laundry"! Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down, mofo. And I am completely obsessed with Tenacious D. They're half of my internet persona.

Samsmama, I am the whitest rapper you've never met. My forty year old ass busts out with a rap every chance I get. My tits?

*picking up the mic*

They're old and low
Let me bust a flow
About my titties
Known through all the cities.
They hang to my waist
I know you want a taste.

Ok, that's all I got, yo. :)

Anonymous said...

It would be "a list of the greatest fucking songs in the history of music"if the list included Barnes & Barnes' seminal classic "Fish Heads." But it's a damn find list that omission not withstanding.

Mala said...

Am I the only one who had TLC's "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" hit instant play? What? No one? Just me then... Ok, carry on.


"If I need it in the mornin' or the middle of the night... I ain't to proud to beg!"

Samsmama said...

I read "Ain't too proud to beg" and thought of The Temptations. But the TLC song is a good one. Which is now in my head.

So I clicked on follow up comments. And I was online. What of it? I got no life...

Unknown said...

Roly poly fish heads are never seen drinking cappuccino in Italian resaurants with Oriental women. I don't think we're supposed to say Oriental anymore. I feel uncomfortable now.

Mala! If the lovin' is strong and you got it goin' on...I ain't too proud to beg.

Samsmama, thanks for coming back. I feel honored and such. You have a wayward weekend with Hooters and one way stripper poles and tell me you have no life? Whatevs. :)

Stuart said...

What? No Freebird? Always knew you was a goddamned Commie ...