We Don't Need No Education


Allow me to tell you, my adoring throng of readers, a bit about myself and why I’ve been conspicuously absent as of late.

Despite my distinct Southern charm, I was actually born and raised in Connecticut. I went to college for a good 17 minutes after high school. I won’t bore you with the Jerry Springer-esque drama behind the scenes. I’ll save that for another post.

Anyhoo, I went about the business of living my life and moving around the country for a few years. I had various jobs waitressing and bartending and working in retail, which suited me for a while. Then I turned 30 and had the most horrific bout of self-loathing you have ever seen in your life. It was then that I dedided I needed to go back to school.

At that time, I was living in my present tiny south Georgia town. The only school around here was a local technical college. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I entered into the Computer Information Systems program. As I was earning my associate's degree, an administrative assistant position came open at the school. One of my teachers recommended me and I was hired.

I had never in my life had a "real" job that was Monday - Friday, no weekends, holidays off. I thought I had gone to heaven. After a few years, my boss left and his position came available. I was not qualified on paper for the position since I didn't have a bachelor's degree. However, I was perfectly capable of performing the duties. They rewrote the position to suit my education and I've been doing it for the past 2 1/2 years.

I love my job but I want the title of director and the money that goes with it, so here I am, at the tender age of 40, going back to school once more for my bachelor's in management. I am currently taking 4 online classes, along with working full-time and handling home life with a 5 year old and college football watching husband.



I am one busy mofo.

I am pleased with my decision to go back to school because I'll be the first one in my family to finish college and I can use this opportunity to show my daughter that you can always better yourself, no matter what stage you are in life. (I know, *barf*, right?) However, it leaves me with less time to play on the interwebz with you lovely people.

On the upside, whilst I was getting my learn on, I had my very first rude commenter on my last post about the Def Leppard concert. I am so proud. You ain't someone until someone hates you on the internet.

5 comments:

Bev said...

Hey you! I've been wondering where you were. Good for you for going back to school to get edumacated! Congrats in advance - I know you're gonna kick butt.

Congrats, also, on your first hater comment. Ah, I remember my first rude comment. I actually got 3 on the same day b/c I had the balls to admit that I hate Clay Aiken. The nerve of me, right?!

Eff 'em. Write what you wanna write, and we'll come bust some skulls if they mess with our Kari!

xoxo

Samsmama said...

Four online classes, full time job, daughter and husband and yet no time for blogging? Priorities, woman. Get them straight.

Kudos to you for going back to school! I have zero ambition or drive, so I've set the bar extremely low for myself. So far, so good.

I've never gotten a rude comment. *sigh* Perhaps I should insult Clay Gayken, it worked for Bev.

Anonymous said...

You are the only person who comments on my blog, so say something horrible so I will fit in at least once in my life. (Jeez, that plea was pathetic!) You are the most bad ass chick on the planet for getting you learn on. I heart you every day!

Anonymous said...

Hello, it is Tara. I put my name since this is posted as anonymous. You forgot to say you are so busy you don't have time for your awsome fun loving budds. But it will be worth it and we all love you anyway! This mess about this is it till Christmas totally sucks! Maybe squeeze one in between now and then. Luv Ya! Holla!

R4 card said...

I think you have decided right to go back school. I am much concern with your decision.